You can call it a rut. You can call it a funk. Whatever you call it, we’ve all caught ourselves planning the same old same old for dinner each week.
Lucky for us, the mamas from our village are sharing some new crock pot recipes to help us mix things up this month! Thanks to all the moms who shared their ideas with us!
CREAMY CROCKPOT WHITE CHICKEN CHILI
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 15 ounce can white corn, drained
- 2 15.5 ounce cans white beans, drained (Cannellini or Great Northern are good)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bullion chicken base
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
1. Place chicken breasts on the bottom of a crockpot, and add chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, chicken broth, green chiles, corn and beans. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
2. About an hour before serving: In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Whisk in flour, and allow to bubble and brown a bit. After a few minutes, gradually whisk in the milk and chicken base.
3. Allow the sauce to simmer for 4-5 minutes, whisking frequently until it is slightly thickened. Add salt and pepper.
4. Pour sauce into crockpot and mix to combine.
5. Add sour cream and mix.
6. If chicken has not already shredded with stirring, take out large pieces, shred them with two forks, and return to the crockpot.
7. Let the chicken chili cook on low 1 more hour if you can.
SLOW COOKER TACO LASAGNA
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 package (1.25-ounces) taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 container (16-ounces) cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese)
- 1 egg
- 10 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
- 3 cups picante sauce
- 8 oz sharp or medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 can (2.25 ounces) sliced black olives, optional
- Sour cream, for topping
- Diced red onion, for topping
- Cilantro, chopped, for topping
- Sliced avocado, for topping
1. Heat skillet over medium high heat; add ground beef. Use wooden spoon to break meat into even pieces. Add taco seasoning and tomato paste, stirring occasionally for even browning. Continue to brown beef until no longer pink; drain excess fat. Set aside.
2. Place ricotta in medium bowl; add egg and whisk until combined. Set aside.
3. In casserole slow cooker or 6-quart oval slow cooker, layer 5 uncooked whole-wheat lasagna noodles over bottom (you may break some noodles in half to fit slow cooker shape). Spoon half of ricotta mixture over noodles as evenly as possible. Sprinkle half of beef over ricotta. Pour half of salsa over beef.
4. Mix cheddar and mozzarella together to blend. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over salsa.
5. Repeat layering, starting with remaining lasagna noodles and ending with remaining cheese mixture.
6. Top cheese layer with sliced olives, if using. Cover slow cooker; cook on high 2-3 hours or low about 4 hours. Serve lasagna immediately with favorite toppings (sour cream, red onion, cilantro and avocado are my favorites.)
Notes: I like using whole-wheat lasagna noodles for this recipe because they do not get mushy like white pasta tends to do in the slow cooker. The noodles do not need to be oven-ready noodles.
SLOW-COOKED ASIAN BBQ BEEF SHORT RIBS
- 3lbs Bone-in Beef Short Ribs
- Pan Searing Flour
- 2 tbsp Pure Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bottle (20oz) Food You Feel Good About Asian-Style BBQ Sauce
- 1 bottle (12oz) lager-style beer
1. Dust ribs with pan-searing flour, pat off excess.
2. Heat oil on MED in large braising pan until oil faintly smokes. Add ribs, being careful not to overcrowd pan. Turn over when ribs change color one-quarter of way up and seared side has turned paper bag-brown. Sear ribs on all sides 10-15 min. Remove ribs; transfer to slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Combine BBQ sauce and beer in large bowl; pour over ribs.
4. Cover; cook on HIGH 4-5 hours or LOW 6-7 hours, until tender.
5. Skim fat from surface; discard. Remove ribs from slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Serve ribs with sauce.
BALSAMIC PORK ROAST
- 2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (sirloin roast)
- kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
1. Season the pork with salt, garlic powder and red pepper flakes and place it into the slow cooker.
2. Mix together the broth and vinegar and pour it over the pork, then pour the honey over and set the timer for 4 hours on High or 6-8 hours on Low.
3. Once the pork is cooked and tender (it should shred easily with a fork), remove from slow cooker with tongs into a serving dish. Break apart lightly with two forks and put back into the slow cooker and ladle 1/2 cup sauce over the pork and keep warm until ready to eat.
From Skinny Taste
Do you have a favorite crockpot recipe? Email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org - we would love to feature it in a future post!